SIKH LOBBY & CANDLELIT VIGILHOUSES OF PARLIAMENT, LONDON
Tuesday 30 October 2007
A meeting organised by the All Party Parliamentary Group for UK Sikhs will take place in Committee Room 18 between 11.30am-1.30pm. Aim to arrive at the St. Stephen’s entrance of the Houses of Parliament for 11am. This will be followed by a lobby in Parliament where you can meet your local MP between 1.30-3.30pm. The day will end with a candlelit vigil opposite the Houses of Parliament from 3.30-7.30pm.
The lobby will focus on:
* separate monitoring of Sikhs for the Census 2011
* Sikh religious right to their articles of faith; and
* bringing justice for victims of genocide and torture since 1984
What you need to do:
1) Contact your local MP and inform him/her of the event and make travel arrangements to take part in the lobby and vigil
2) Invite your MP to the meeting in Committee Room 18 – it is particularly important MPs try and attend between 12 noon and 1pm when the main presentations will be made
3) Encourage your MP to join Sikhs for the candlelit vigil outside the Houses of ParliamentNote: There will also be a candlelit vigil in Chamberlain Square (outside the Central Library), Birmingham City Centre between 4-7pm on 7 November 2007.
The Sikh Lobby and Candlelit Vigil is being organised jointly by Gurdwaras and Sikh organisations throughout the UK.